For an authentic taste of British life in the countryside, the Prescott Shooting School offers activities and tuition in a number of shooting sports. The grounds of the school are ideally set in the enclaves of a working farm in the heart of the Gloucestershire countryside. With no membership required, the school is an excellent choice for beginners seeking an alternative day out, whilst there is plenty to occupy seasoned shooters, as well. Guests can choose from activities ranging from one-hour to two-day shooting holidays that include accommodation.
Types of Tuition
The school has a broad range of options that cater to both beginners and professionals. It even has the ability to host events for groups, such as stag and hen parties, as well as corporate team-building days. Some of the different options for tuition include:
- “Have A Go Days” – Held on the last Saturday of the month, guests can choose from Clay Pigeon Shooting, Archery or Air Rifles. The price includes one-hour of group tuition and all equipment.
- Private Tuition – The owner and tutor, Daniel Martin, provides expert instruction to novice and experienced shooters with 27 targets placed throughout the grounds. One-hour lessons and whole-day tuition is offered with advanced booking. Alternatively, a “drop-in” package is available that lasts between 30-minutes and 1-hour.
- “Pay and Play” – Experienced shooters can pay to practice in the grounds and advanced booking is not required. A range of targets is available on-site, including clay pigeons thrown from a 140 ft tower.
- Group Activities – Groups can receive tuition in shooting or archery and then practice on targets with prizes are awarded for the highest scorers. Refreshments can also be provided, such as a buffet meal or BBQ food.
- Shooting Holidays – The school has teamed up with several local hotels and guesthouses to provide shooting holidays for one or two nights. Tuition, accommodation, travel to the site, lunch and additional refreshments are all included in the price.
- “Simulated Game Days” – Guests can experience a day of game shooting in a controlled environment with clays representing and mimicking a number of different game species.
The Prescott Shooting School has its own shop on site where visitors can purchase clothing, including the signature country tweed, other gifts and shooting accessories.
A canteen serves refreshments to shooters, whilst the nearby Plough Inn offers traditional British cuisine in a classic pub setting.
The school is located within the grounds of Pinnock Wood Farm near the village of Winchcombe. From Winchcombe, visitors should take the Castle Street road out of the village, follow this road for two miles and then take the turning on the left for the village of Ford. Visitors should then continue on this road where there are signs for the school. A PDF document is available on the school’s website with complete directions.
Opening Times and Costs
The school is open Wednesdays to Saturdays from 9am until 5pm. Visitors wishing to attend the “turn up” events should ring on the day to check availability, as the school does have busy periods.
Costs of the events vary greatly. “Have A Go Days” range between £20 and £25, private tuition ranges between £35 and £360 and shooting holidays start from £465.